FLUFFY AMERICAN PANCAKES
This is a gluten and dairy free recipe. You can use ordinary self raising flour, cow’s milk and butter for a regular recipe and do omit the Xantham Gum in this case.
Perfect for you and your charges!
- 135g self raising Gluten Free flour (I use Doves Farm always available at large supermarkets)
- 1 tsp baking powder (GF)
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Xantham Gum (Doves Farm)
- 140 ml almond milk (unsweetened) Use 130 ml if using cow’s milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil (or 2 tablespoons melted butter)
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl
- Put all the wet ingredients into a jug and whisk lightly
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and beat until smooth ( no lumps)
- Heat a large non stick fry pan with a little sunflower oil and when at medium heat. Drop a tablespoon sized piece of batter in the pan, you should get 4 in at a time and when you see bubbles on the surface, turn them over with a palette knife until the other side is nice and brown. You can make bigger pancakes, but watch the heat isn’t too high or the pancakes won’t cook on the inside.
- Keep the pancakes warm in the oven until all the batter is used.
To Serve: Dust with icing sugar, Maple Syrup, bacon, berries, bananas, ice cream, or your favourite!
These pancakes are best eaten straight away.